Background

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Two Weeks

I can't believe that my little boy is already 2 weeks old today. The time really has seemed to fly by really quickly. And my life has definitely been revolving around Luke for these past two weeks with very little time online and no time for knitting, yet I haven't minded so much. I know that in a little while when we get more adjusted, I'll be able to spend a little time doing other things (although not nearly as much time as I had before). But I don't mind giving up some knitting time to spend time with my son. I can spend an hour just holding him and looking at his face while he sleeps. It's the best hour in the world and I am constantly amazed that this little boy is my son. Here he is today at two weeks old:



Today was a doctor's appointment and I was really eager to see how much weight Luke had gained in the past week. And it was definitely a good weight gain: one whole pound! So he's definitely eating well and getting what he needs. Breastfeeding can be difficult at times because you can't see exactly how much he is eating; you just have to go by the sound of swallowing (or in his case sometimes, gulping) and how much time he nurses. So it's a relief to know that he's eating enough. Everything else checked out okay as well. And his umbilical cord stump finally came off. It was still hanging on by just a little bit, but we were afraid to pull on it in case it still wasn't quite ready to come off. The doctor gave it a slight tug and off right away. So I guess that means we get to learn how to do more than just a sponge bath for him.

Yesterday I had an interesting experience while doing my daily pumping (to build a freezer supply). I started pumping and saw that it was going okay but slowly, so I started reading some posts on Ravelry. The next thing I knew I noticed that my pants seemed a bit wet. Yeah, I had filled up the bottle really quickly and it was overflowing. Oops! I guess that means I'll need to pay more careful attention while I'm pumping in the future.

As for myself, I'm feeling a lot better although I'm still a little tender. I have a doctor's appointment for myself on Friday. But everything seems to be healing okay. I do still have some itchiness on my feet and some on my thighs but it's a lot better than it was even just a couple of days ago. But I'm having issues with finding pants in my closet that fit. Apparently my hips really expanded and so a lot of the pants, even maternity pants, that I wore several months ago are a little tight. So today I went ahead and purchased a pair of maternity khaki pants and maternity jeans in the next size up just so I can have pants to wear (without feeling all squeezed in) for right now. Hopefully as I continue to recover, my hips will change back a little and I can try my old pants again. I don't mind so much if my hips stay as they are because it's not bad, except for the idea of having to buy all new pants. But we'll see what happens and I'm so happy to have two pairs of pants that I can wear now.

No comments:

Post a Comment