Background

Monday, September 12, 2011

First Solo Night

Because J has been able to have time off work, we've been tag teaming the nightly feedings. I feed Luke and J burps him and changes his diaper. But today J went back to work, so to help him not be too exhausted for work, I tried doing the nightly feeding, burping, changing on my own last night (knowing that I could always wake J up if necessary).

The first time went well and I got back into bed happy with the thought that it hadn't taken very long and now I could sleep for a couple of hours. I noted that 2-3 hours would be between 1 and 2 am. Right at 1 am, Luke started getting fussy. The white noise didn't completely quiet him and the pacifier wouldn't appease him, so I figured that he was hungry or his diaper needed changing. I went to try to feed him. As soon as I sat on the couch, he promptly fell asleep and wouldn't be enticed at all to wake up and eat. So I held him for a little longer, but he kept sleeping. So I put him in the pack-n-play and went to lay on the couch for a while. Nearly an hour later, he started fussing again and this time he definitely was hungry. So I guess I got a little too eager earlier and he just wanted a little attention or something to be able to get back to sleep. I'll have to learn to read his cues a little better in the future.

So the feeding went well and I felt him go poop during the feeding, so I went to go change him. That's when things got interesting. Apparently he wasn't done pooping. As soon as I started to slide the clean diaper under him, he pooped some more. I cleaned that up and more poop came out. At that moment I looked at his face and noticed that he was also spitting up. So I tried to clean up both ends (thank the gods, he did NOT start to pee during this time because that would have definitely been too much!) and thought everything was under control when, what do you know--more poop. So I just put some paper towels under him and he continued to poop for a little while longer. Finally he finished and I got a clean diaper on him (and a clean sleeper as poop had gotten on the back of the other one).

Back to bed for another 2-3 hours until the next feeding (which went just fine). Although it was definitely an adventure and a learning experience, I'm happy that I was able to do it myself without having to call on J because while he's at work, I'm not going to be able to just call him in from the next room to help me with Luke, so I need to be able to handle him on my own. Hopefully today will go well with J at work.

In other news, we noticed yesterday that Luke seems to be having a lot more awake and alert times during the day than he had been having. So it looks like it's about time to break out the books and a few toys to help stimulate him during those awake times. And I need to figure out how to wear this Moby wrap so I can wear him during the day and still have my hands free. I'm excited to have more awake time to spend with my son, but I know it's going to be even more challenging to get anything else done during the day. But I can always wash the dishes or do the laundry after J gets home from work and can spend his time with Luke. So I'm going to enjoy my day with my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment