Background

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mother Goose and Nursery Rhymes

This morning, I decided that Luke and I were going to read through some of the nursery rhymes in the Mother Goose book that he received during the baby shower. It was fun to read through the rhymes that I remembered from my own childhood, but for every one that I remembered, there were two that I had never heard before. And then there were a few that had some different wording from what I remembered. For example, for the this little piggy rhyme, I remember the last part being "This little piggie cried "Wee Wee Wee" all the way home." But the book has it as "This little piggie said "Wee, wee! I can't find my way home." Or take Baa, Baa, Black Sheep. I remember the line as "And one for the little boy who lives down the lane," but the book has "But none for the little boy who cries in the lane." So I think on some of them, I'm going to keep going with the words I know rather than what's written in the book. But I still had fun reading these to Luke.

After we read through the book, I looked online for other nursery rhymes and found a website with a bunch, so I picked some of the ones I was familiar with and read (sometimes sang) those to Luke as well. We'll definitely have to keep doing this each day. I also plan on reading him a new book each day; he's got a great collection already from the books that he got at the baby shower. Thanks to all our friends who gave him this wonderful start to his library.

No comments:

Post a Comment