Background

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Swaddling

So when Luke was born, the hospital used a sleep sack that has a part to swaddle the baby. We got a free sleep sack to take home and we purchased a second one.

After the first week, we were having problems getting Luke to keep his arms inside. Ultimately, I tried not swaddling him and he seemed to be just fine, so we stopped.

I've been reading The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp (which is fantastic by the way--for anyone with a newborn or expecting, I highly recommend it). The first step in his calming sequence is swaddling.

So I tried swaddling Luke last night. He had been making some noises between feedings the past few nights and it kept waking me up to check him, which definitely is not good for my sleep. Last night? He slept rather peacefully between feedings and I was able to get more sleep. And I know that I got better sleep because last night I actually had a dream for the first time in a while.

So for nap time today, I took a regular blanket and tried using it to swaddle Luke. I just woke up from my hour+ nap (and Luke is still asleep although he's starting to stir a little).

So I guess that means we're back to swaddling. And perhaps getting a bit more sleep, which is really exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment