Background

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sleeping and Eating Update

We've had some big highs and lows this week on the sleep front. Wednesday night was horrible. There was a point where he woke up several times just 30 minutes after I put him back to bed. Nothing but nursing would console him (no pacifier, no rocking without nursing, no singing, no patting tummy or back), so I felt really rotten much of Thursday. On top of that, his naps were only 45 minutes long that day. It was a bad day.

But then Thursday night, something happened. Luke went to bed around 7:00 and didn't wake up until 11:00. Usually he has at least one wakeup between those times. Then he woke back up around 1:30. I was a little dumb at that point and thought I'd try getting him back to sleep without nursing. After trying, and failing, for almost an hour, I finally nursed him and he went back to sleep. And slept until 7:00 am. That means that he had only two wakeups. Amazing! I think that's the best we've ever done.

He then had some good naps on Friday. I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to jinx it. Surely it wasn't just a one-night event, was it? Off to sleep on Friday. Once again, he woke up at 11:00 pm for the first time and then around 1:30 am. He did have a 5:00 am wakeup but then he slept until around 7:00 am again. So three wakeups, which is still far better than we had been doing.

He had a good morning nap on Saturday but the afternoon nap was short. I had hopes that he would sleep well again, especially after his first wakeup again didn't happen until 11:00 pm. And like the previous nights, he woke again around 1:30 am. Then it started. He woke up every hour after that and was wide awake at 6 am and wanting to get up (I put on his mobile and left him in the crib but sat in the glider for 45 minutes while he was happily chattering away to himself to make him at least try to stay in the crib until closer to 7 am). I then drug myself out of the glider and got my coffee. Less than 45 minutes later, he was already asleep for his morning nap. Argh! Now I had had coffee and couldn't get back to sleep myself. He did take a decent morning nap, so we'll see what the rest of today brings.

At least I know that he is able to sleep longer chunks at night, so there is hope. There are two things that we changed: first I put up room darkening curtains in his room and second I put him in a warmer sleeper and did not use the sleep sack (wondering if since he was now rolling and moving all over the crib if the sleep sack got in his way). I'm not sure if either of those things helped (especially since it didn't make a huge difference last night).

On the eating front, he had zucchini this past week. It's very watery so it was a different texture from the foods he's tried before. It wasn't until yesterday that he seemed really interested in eating it. And yesterday he gobbled it up and a little serving of pear right afterwards. Today we'll be trying squash. It does seem like most days he's just not at all interested in food but there have been a few days where he opens wide and leans toward the spoon. So we'll just keep moving forward slowly like we have been doing.

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful that you've been recording these events in your son's life. You'll look back on this in a few years and be glad you did it.

    ReplyDelete