Background

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Rolling Over and Eating Sweet Potato

Two posts in one day...gasp!

Luke has been rolling over from his stomach to his back for a couple of months now. He doesn't do it a lot but he has done it quite a few times. But he had not yet managed to roll from his back to his stomach. He's been trying and lately trying really hard. Yesterday he managed to get almost all the way over but his arm blocked him. I tried showing him how to move him arm, but he still just wasn't doing it. This is how close he came:


So this morning, I put him on the floor while I was sitting with him and drinking my coffee and what does he do? Rolls over from back to front almost immediately. If I had blinked, I would have missed it! He did it again later in the afternoon and he came super super close to a third time after that.

Today we tried yet another food: sweet potato. This time I think it went much better. He had just woken up from his nap and nursed, so he was in a good mood. And J was home, so he was able to participate and see it, which I was happy to be able to share with him. And I don't think he ate a lot (the serving size for his age is only like a teaspoon so he shouldn't have gotten much anyway, but I don't think he ate even quite that much), but he did eat a few small bites. He did keep it toward the front of his mouth and used his tongue a little to push it but he didn't push it all the way out and he did actually swallow some. (I know he didn't swallow any of the banana before and I doubt very little of the avocado made it into him.) So I have more sweet potato (put some for tomorrow in the fridge and for the rest of the week in the freezer), so I'll keep trying a little of it each day and see what happens.

It might still be a little early to say that we've started solids (today could have been a fluke), but if he does this for a few more days, then I think we'll have officially started solids. Exciting yet also a little scary. It seems easier just to keep nursing him because it's at the point where it's so natural that I barely need to think about it, but I know he'll need to eat something besides breastmilk at some point in the future, so I guess it's good to start slowly now.

A couple of other small things he's doing:

He's trying really really hard to blow raspberries, either sticking his tongue out or just using his lips. J or I will do them at him and he's trying to do them back to us. It's so cute! I got a quick video of him doing it today, but it's not posting here.


He's also gotten a lot more interested in books now and will sit and get through me reading at least halfway through a book before he gets restless. But I can see he's actually looking at the pages now. And he wants to hold the book and even tries to turn the pages. Again, super cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment